Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dwarf Ginseng

I really found this yesterday ... but returned home to find the photo out of focus. I went back to the woods this morning to get a better photo. This is Dwarf Ginseng. A close relative to American Ginseng. American Ginseng has been over harvested so much that it is considered rare in the wild. American Ginseng is used for its medicinal qualities.  Dwarf Ginseng can be and was used by Native Americans and early settlers as a food. It is sometimes called Ground Nut. It can be eaten raw or boiled. It is found in old woods that have been untouched by development or fire for a long time.

Where I found it: In damp woods near a river.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a beautiful little plant. Thank you for bringing to our attention, the over harvesting of wild and medicinal plants. I think it's happening so much now that there's actually an organization called United Plant Savers to try and remedy this. Hopefully they/we can save these plants that are on the brink of extinction. Thank you Wild Bee for sharing this gem of a plant with us. I'm really learning from your blog to appreciate each and every plant. Plants that I may have otherwise passed by without noticing.

      Delete
  2. Does this plant have a sweet smelling flower? i found some in my woods yesterday and it smelled sweet. i didn't know what it was so i looked it up here on the internet and found your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is that you found American Ginseng which is considered endangered in many states. The Dwarf Ginseng does not have a strong scent but the American Ginseng smells much like the Lily of the Valley. I have recently posted another photo of Dwarf Ginseng, I believe this week, and it talks a little more about both Ginseng. I am a little envious that you have seen the rare Ginseng.... my searches have not lead my so far, to the American Ginseng. Thanks for asking.

      Delete