Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bloodroot or Deadman's Fingers

 Today's find is such a treat. It grows up out of the leaf debris, cuddled in its leaf. I was told years ago that this flower also goes by the name ... Deadman's Fingers. Being the amateur naturalist that I am.... I thought I should find a little more information about this nickname, and I found no reference to this flower going  by that name. I have taken children on nature walks and told them the gory story behind this nickname and it is often the flower they always remember. If you could see below the leaf debris into the soil you would see an underground stem that resembles the shape of a finger, and if you happen to slice off a piece of that underground stem you would notice how red and, excuse me for saying
this, juicy it looks. I can almost hear the children groaning with delight.
 I have included the entry of Bloodroot from my nature journal so you can
 see the root and what it looks like when it has been sliced.

Where I found it: In the woods, on a sunny, sloped site.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment