Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Blueberry

My hope is that you will click on the photo to see how beautiful this flower is. And so unique. Isn't it charming? It is early for the blueberry flower ...but this one was nestled up next to an old log and in full sun. The star shape is what probably inspired the Native Americans to call them Star Berrys. The five points are also on the blue fruit. They grow very well after a fire and I think it was Robert Frost that wrote that he could taste the soot when he ate Blueberries. Wild bees are the most common pollinator.

Where I found it: In the woods where a logging company had recently been through.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. What an exquisite little flower! Blueberries are my favorite of all the berries. As a young girl I use to pick them in the woods behind my aunts house. To this day when I eat blueberries it conj-ours up the most wonderful childhood memories. Thank you for this post Wild Bee!

    ReplyDelete