Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Red Clover

This may be one of the more under appreciated flowers, but it is a very important flower in many ways. Bees, honey, soil, horses, cattle, rabbits and even the notorious Wood Chuck that lives on this farm benefit from the flowers, foliage and the nitrogen converting ability of the roots. The roots have these little nodules that host a bacteria that is able to do what plants can't, the bacteria can take atmospheric nitrogen and convert it into a usable form that the plants can absorb. This makes it a nitrogen rich plant that can be turned back into the soil as a green fertilizer. It is a little super hero of a plant.

Where I found it : in the yard
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Red Clover, I have since I was a little girl. I had no idea of the complexity of this plant. Thank you Wild Bee.

    ReplyDelete