Saturday, June 2, 2012

Blue Flag

 The Blue Flag is an Iris that is found in wet lands around New England.  Some believe that it is called a flag because the Iris (white) is what one of the French King Louis' adopted as an emblem for his flags as he set off for the Crusades..... The Iris emblem became known as the fleur de lis, or flower of Louis. An interesting thing about the Blue Flag's leaves, is they are able to assimilate the sun light on both sides of its leaves. Most plants assimilate the suns rays into energy through the top surface of their leaves. Thoreau was not a big fan of this vision of loveliness and said "This is a little too showy and gaudy, like some women's hats". I don't agree ... bring on those gaudy hats!

Where I found it : in wet lands beside the road
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Yes...I'm sorry too Mr. Thoreau....bring on those gaudy hats! They're absolutely beautiful! Thank you Wild Bee for sharing this lovely flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exquisite! Although I must say the white ones have really caught my eye this year, I want some!!

    ReplyDelete