Thursday, May 17, 2012

Yellow Pond Lily

For obvious reasons ... getting close to this flower was not an option. I was surprised when I down loaded this photo to my computer because the colors that can be seen in Monet's Water Lily paintings were very obvious. It wasn't noticeable at the location of the Yellow Pond Lily. It was over cast and raining. But if you click on the photo you will see the purples and blues in the water that I haven't noticed in ponds, but without a doubt Monet did. The "art of seeing".
 An interesting feature of this flower is its way of exchanging gases from the surface of the water to the sediment below. The Lily's stem contains tubes which draw gases from sediment to the surface of the mature leaves where they then dissipate, and in reverse air is drawn down through younger leaves and into the roots below. Moose gobble these beauties up.

Where I found it : Dead Cat Swamp
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment