Friday, May 25, 2012

Wild Indian Cucumber

This is the flower of the Wild Indian Cucumber.... as you can see it looks nothing like the Large Whorled Pogonia, but every year I mistake one for the other because both have very similar whorled leaves. The location that I find the Orchid, the Whorled Pogonia, has an abundance of Wild Indian Cucumber growing. The American Indians ate the root of this plant that is suppose to smell and taste much like cucumber. One of the identification guides that I use stated that to pick the Indian Cucumber for its root is not a recommended because of its scarcity.  I looked up its status on the endangered list because I see them everywhere  I go, and it is not mentioned on the Massachusetts list but it is endangered in Illinois and Florida.

Where I found it : In the woods near a clearing
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment