Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Field Pansy


Often times I take the photo as close up to the face of the flower as I can. This is what I (and probably many others) call a "bees eye view". Today's Field Pansy is not much bigger than my finger nail. Click on the photo and you will see what the bee is looking for... the dark lines leading up to where the nectar is. The lines are to bees, what the lights lining the airport runways are to airplanes. It shows them in what direction to come in for a landing. The hairs around the opening lead the insect's proboscis down into the spur where the nectar is waiting. As I have written before this tiny plant has such big plans... Though you can't tell by looking at it, it has the potential to produce up to as many as two thousand five hundred seeds. And, if I remember correctly it has the strength to cast off those seeds as far away as thirty feet. I did not see this plant on Pat's list.... but I bet that in the year 1942 Pat and her siblings were gathering some of the flowers we have mentioned to fill May Baskets. Happy May Day everyone. Give someone a basket of flowers and remember each basket comes with a kiss.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment