Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Bladder Campion



I have found out a few things about the Bladder Campion that hopefully along with you I am going to look into for the next few nights. One of the interesting things about this Campion is that at night time it lays its petals back apon the calyx (bladder at the back of the flower, see photo).
It is a flower that caters to night flying-moths. When the petal move backwards I can only assume that it is to allow the moth to fly up to the corolla unimpeded. The scent of the flower is not released untill about eight p.m. in the evening and continues to release its scent untill three o'clock in the morning. This is to attract night visitors. So on my way out to the barn this morning I will check to see if there is any scent coming from the Campion flower and I will check again tonight when I put the chickens in for the night. At the same time I will see in what position the petals are in on this cloudy morning.... they resume their day time position more quickly in the sunlight.

Patsy did find this flower growing on her family farm in 1942.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment