Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mullein

 This tall tower like plant can grow up to seven feet tall. It was dipped in animal fat and used as a funeral torch by the Romans, and the Greeks used the leaves as lamp-wicks. The leaves are covered with velvety-hairs. Hummingbirds have been seen gathering the hairs to line their tiny nests. One nature writer wrote " Pale country beauties rub their cheeks with the velvety leaves to make them rosy". Also, American Indians would line their moccasins with them. The hairs that cover the leaves protect the delicate, sensitive, cells from intense light, draught, and even cold. In harsh conditions the hairs have been known to felt together for more protection. I have read that at the end of each hair is a star.... I have not been able to see that yet, but don't think I am going to give up looking. I want to see that and add it to my list of fascinating marvels that fill this planet we call home.

Where I found it. In the field
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment